Monday, May 9, 2011

Interview : DJ Paolo Bruni (Toronto)

I had the chance to catch up with Paolo Bruni, a local up and coming DJ, producer and businessman who is is working hard towards his dream. He shared with me some of his aspiration,dreams and  inspirations. The DJ and electronic music industry is becoming more competitive and Paolo definitely has handy tips for you to stay on your game and succeed. Hopefully you will find something inspiring in here and keep pushing to reach your goals, no matter how big or how small they may be. 



Me: Tell me about your history with electronic dance music and how it has transpired through your life.




PB:I acutally only truely discovered EDM in my first year of university. I had already been loving bands like Prodigy and Infected Mushroom then after meeting friends and club go-ers discovered trance and house. Since that I was hooked and knew I wanted to make this a huge part of my life. 



Me: How did you get involved with music?

PB: From a very young age I had taken piano lessons

Me: How would you describe your unique style?

PB:Hmm, tricky question, I find that I will often like to make things more melodic but it usually depends on my biggest influences at the time. No matter what though I always like things that get ppl really moving.

Me: Why house music ?

PB: House right now has the most overlap. You can go from minimal techno to hard electro trhough progressive house and trance and it can sound great. But to be honest, I love all EDM, new sounds and feels like dub and classics like electro house and techno.

Me:Where was your first ever gig and how did you land it! Tell me about the experience, nerves etc.

PB :First gig was opening for Hatiras. Lol, what a chaotic night. My laptop crapped out on me the day of, so I tried borrowing a friends mac, so problem after problem I decided that it was best to just use my other gear, drove back home from the club, and arrived just in time. Then after all that fret, smooth sailing. The crowd really enjoyed it and as did I. (even though ppl kept bugging me to chat) 

Me:What do you think about the future of electronic music for Toronto? The World?:

PB: Toronto and North America have taken a looooong time to realize dance music is in but it is slowly moving more and more into the mainstream. Toronto seems to be moving towards a dirty house scene which isnt exactly my favourite but i can get with. But i'd love to tap into the torontoians that are looking for more of a european Progressive feel and think that with the help of the collective I can achieve that dream.

Me: What is your end goal?:

PB:I'd love to have my own label, working with and finding likeminded talented people and sharing our visions with the world. Also on the side designing gear to enhance the live experience for the crowd... I'll let you know more about that later, once some of the projects really get going. 

Me; Do you produce music as well? What is your latest release ? What was it inspired by?

PB: Yes , I've been producing on and off since I was 14 but really got into it in the last 3 years. My latest release was a Remix of Bravil - Vgar. We'll to be honest, Women... :P or specifically one I was dating at the time.

Me:They these days, that everybody wants to be a DJ. What makes you think you have the right edge to make it in such a highly competitive environment?


PB: Knowing what people want, and giving it to them is probably my greatest goal when dealing with any production or set. So remembering that I'm an entertainer and am there to make ppl have fun is what I crave.

Me: You currently are running a project called The Toronto Collective. Tell me more about that and how you became involved.

PB: Believe it or not.Craigslist. Ive been searching for gigs and such for the last year or so and this one jumped right out at me. When I went to meet my potential employers I knew i recognized them. Turned out one was the executive producer and host of Keys to the VIP and the other Mitch Ross, Guelph's number one promoter. I found their mission statement to be exactly how I felt toronto as a dance city needed to go and knew I wanted to be involved.

Me: I am also aware that you have a radio show on the all new serenity.fm, tell us about your show and how that started

PB: (LOL) Craigslist again; actually around the same time as the collective. They were looking to start up a new site and when I saw the site itself I loved it. The managers are really nice guys and so are the other dj's. Whats really cool about it is everyone is from all over North America so you can get a sense of the different scenes in the cities.

Me: Where can we find samples of your music, podcasts etc?
PB: The best place to find them with the most updated is www.evolverecords.net


Have questions for Paolo? Email us at info@digitaldeep.ca and we'd be glad to find out for you!




Ash

No comments: